Central Heating Points

Anodes for Corrosion Prevention
April 27, 2014
Control Valves
April 30, 2014
Show all


The majority of central heating today is fitted with pies that measure 15mm that feed the radiators. If a system contains pipework that is larger than this it will probably mean it is an outdated ‘one pipe’ type of system. In this system the water circulated around the circuit and diverted to each radiator by convection. Willesden Plumbers know all about systems.


If there is an issue with the boiler, then, a recommended way to check which type your heating system you have is to take note of the make and model number on the boiler so you can contact the manufacturer. Be quite specific, listing the model, year, and any code numbers. Bear in mind that the boiler may have been partly replaced, for example while the casing is original, everything else could be a replacement.


In some homes, the water in the radiators is circulated through the hot water cylinder using gravity (convection), whilst in others a pump and electric valves are used to push water through the cylinder.


Black sludge can mass at the bottom of the radiators, reducing their efficiency and with central heating systems being filled with water, this can cause rust to form in the radiators. Chemical additives are available for cleaning and protecting the system once it has been refilled. A Willesden Plumber can carry out all types of maintenance.

Combination Boiler:

The combination boiler system does not need any tanks or pipes in the loft. It is very economical because it only heats the water that is used.
A negative is that, while the hot tub water is really hot, the flow is really quite slow. This is a good system for a small flat.

Sealed Central Heating System:

These systems use an expansion cylinder that lets the hot water expand. This type of system will have a small pressure gauge somewhere on the central heating boiler.

Comments are closed.